Heritage Classic Foundation’s Eighth Annual Program Encourages Elementary Students to Read for a Chance to Attend the 50th RBC Heritage Presented by Boeing Golf Tournament
HILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C.— Heritage Classic Foundation’s eighth annual Plaid About Reading program, presented by Future Scholar, South Carolina’s tax-advantaged 529 College Savings Plan, is complete and the final results are in. Collectively, the 11 participating elementary schools read over 1 million pages in two short weeks.
To be exact, a total of 1,132,859 pages were read among the local schools. The winning school “taking home the plaid” is Hilton Head Island Elementary, which read nearly 335,000 pages together.
“Plaid About Reading reminds our youngest golf fans that it is ‘cool’ to read,” said Steve Wilmot, tournament director of South Carolina’s only PGA TOUR event. “This program has grown over the years and it’s one we always look forward to. We love seeing photos from the participating schools. The students have so much fun with Plaid About Reading. We are excited to deliver the $500 donation to our winning school and give each student in the winning classes two passes to experience the tournament next month. They will enjoy meeting golf professionals during tournament week and we can’t wait to host an extra special day for them during our 50th celebration on Hilton Head Island.”
“Encouraging the importance of reading is vital for preparing our State’s future scholars,” said South Carolina Treasurer Curtis Loftis, whose office is responsible for administering the Future Scholar 529 plan. “The costs associated with attending college can be overwhelming, but Future Scholar is the smart, easy way for families to save for that important life goal.”
2018 Plaid About Reading Program Results include:
- Winning School: Hilton Head Island Elementary
- Winning classes at each participating school:
- Beaufort Elementary School
- Bluffton Elementary: Ms. Gardner’s kindergarten class
- Coosa Elementary: Mrs. Warner’s fourth grade class
- Cross Schools: Mrs. Brougham-Cook’s fifth grade class
- Hilton Head Christian Academy: Peter & Taylor’s first & second grade class
- Hilton Head Island Elementary: Ms. Hamby’s third grade class
- Joseph S. Shanklin Elementary School: Mrs. Deloach’s second grade class
- Michael C. Riley Elementary & ECC: Mrs. Burchfield’s fourth grade class
- Okatie Elementary: Mrs. Matz’s second grade class
- Pritchardville Elementary: Ms. Besecker’s second grade class
- St. Francis Catholic School: Mrs. Masterton’s fifth grade class
For more information on the 50th annual RBC Heritage PGA TOUR golf tournament, visit www.rbcheritage.com.
About the RBC Heritage Presented by Boeing
The RBC Heritage Presented by Boeing is the only PGA TOUR event in South Carolina. Played over the Harbour Town Golf Links on Hilton Head Island since 1969, the event is celebrating its 50th year April 9-15, 2018. The Heritage Classic Foundation, general tournament sponsor, distributes the proceeds from the tournament to hundreds of non-profit organizations. Since it was founded as a 501 (c)(3) in 1987, the Foundation has donated $38 million to people in need. For information on how to "Get Your Plaid On!”, call 843.671.2448, visit www.rbcheritage.com or Facebook (RBC Heritage) and Twitter (@RBC_Heritage).